Monday, December 5, 2011

Who am I?

A few months ago, I went to a leadership course.  One of my classmates gave a presentation and referenced the song "Who am I?" by Casting Crowns.  He asked the question about himself and those of us in the class.
 
Who am I?
I am a Christ-follower: I was called out of my despair and despondency and given a new lease on life.  My burden of sin and guilt was replaced with the holiness and grace of Christ.  
 
I am a United States Navy Chaplain: I have served our country for twenty years.  I have deployed to South Korea, the Mediterranean, the Persian Gulf and Iraq.  I have led others to Christ, I have baptized, I have served communion, I have been with people in their darkest hours and with them in their most joyful times.  I listen to them, I care for them, I love them.  I do my very best to not judge any realizing that, while Christ is my righteousness,  I am still a man who falls short of His glory and am no better than anyone else.
 
I am a husband: for 24 years I have held my beloveds hand and heart.  We have shared some great moments and some not so great moments.  While not always the husband I should have been or should be today, I love my wife with everything within me. If anyone were to attack her, I will defend her to the death.  I would gladly give my life in place of hers.  I will stand beside her, I will support her, I will love her not only until death do us part, but to infinity and beyond!
 
I am a daddy: I have a tremendous son.  A son who is the apple of my eye and the joy in my heart.  He is adopted; chosen if you will by the gracious Lord to be in my life.  An extra special miracle was turned into an extra special blessing when he entered my life.  We have laughed. We have cried. We have prayed.  We have worshipped Christ.  I am a father to a son who is a blessing to others.
 
I have a beautiful daughter. She brings light and joy to all she encounters.  We have played silly games, told jokes only we think are funny, and have spent many hours on the playground.  When she was born, I asked the doctor "what is it?" He replied sarcastically "A baby.".  "Yes, I know, but what kind of baby?"  "A girl baby.". A girl!  My heart exploded.  I am a father to a little girl.  She is married now, but she will always be the little girl who can convince me to eat ice cream before dinner, who can, with just a look, get her way and who will always bring a smile to my heart.
 
I am a father in law: There is only one man worthy to be my daughters husband and she found him.  His character runs deep and is a reflection of his Heavenly Father.  I always look forward to spending time with him.  My daughter chose well!
 
I am a brother: Each one of my siblings holds a special place in my heart.  
I am a son: My parents, Okies to the core, shaped me to be who I am. Without their influence, without their encouragement, without their challenges I would not be who I am today.  They were not perfect.  Neither was I.  In my most difficult period of life (when I was unable to walk for five years), they never let me use that as an excuse for not living life.  Certainly there were things I could not do, but they never told me about them.
 
Who am I? I am a man who desires to love God with all of his heart, soul and mind and love others as I love myself.  
 
That's who I am.  Who are you?
Keep Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment