Friday, December 23, 2011

The Truth about Rudolph

At Christmastime, when I was a child, I remember putting the Christmas album on the turntable and helping decorate the tree and the house.  One of my favorite songs was Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.  While listening to the song the other day, it struck me that no one liked Rudolph for who he was "The other reindeer never let Rudolph join in any reindeer games" and  "Rudolph with your nose so bright, won't you guide my sleigh tonight." are two very important phrases in the song..  Only when he was able to do something, was he liked. First though, a red light is very inefficient for lighting the way.  When deployed on a ship, at night, red lights are used to read because they do not illuminate and cause night blindness.  Second, if the red light were bright enough for Rudolph to actually light they way, the position of his nose would blind him and hinder his vision. 

Do you like people for who they are or for what they can do for you? The golden rule comes to mind: Do unto others as you have them do unto you.  No one really wants to be hated or abused or ignored.  Some may act that way, but truly deep down where our self esteem resides, we want to be loved and care for and accepted.  Here's a test: when you encounter someone who is rude, ask "What else is going on?"  Oh, trust me, when I come across someone who is treating me with rudeness, I want to retaliate, I want to strike back with the same attitude.  But maybe, just maybe they need some grace; I know I do!    Perhaps loving and liking people for who are they are and not what they can do for us is a lesson we can all use; not just Santa and the other reindeer. 

Keep Running,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment