Sunday, December 18, 2011

I caved

Tssssst. That is a sweet sound. While getting ready to board a flight, something red and white caught my eye. I stopped, looked and bought a coca-cola. Not diet mind you, this was the real thing: high fructose corn syrup and all. I hadn't had a soda for 34 days. That first taste was amazing. I almost apologized to the bottle for abandoning it and promised to never leave it again. Then, as I continued to drink, the sweet, sugary liquid began to settle in my tummy and I just didn't feel quite right. No pain, but certainly not 100%.

Just that morning, the weight scale read its lowest in years. I had lost a total of 27 pounds for the year. Why oh why would I sabotage all of my hard work? Weakness. Craving. Who knows, but what I do know is one failure will not define my determination to live healthy. One moment of giving in to a chemically induced drink that only tricks me into drinking more will not be my pattern of life.

What is it that tricks you? Has someone told you you were never good enough; that you just didn't measure up? And now you try to fill that void with food, drinks, friends. You desperately seek acceptance from relationships that only hurt you. You seek laughter in t.v., movies, music. You seek love but only find disgust.

Oh, that first sound is amazing and that first drink is sweet and sugary, but soon, there is a feeling in your soul that doesn't seem quite right. Don't be defined by your failures. Seek friends that love you for who you are. There are many who like you for what you can do for them. Be nice and serve them with a genuine heart, but don't let them define your worth.

Keep Running,
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment