Sunday, January 8, 2012

Joy Comes in the Mourning

I have experienced loss this week.  My wife's (and mine) Aunt Laura passed away.  She was a dear sweet lady with a smile on her face, a twinkle in her eye and a love for Jesus in her heart.  We saw her last year and simply enjoyed her company.  She was a blessing! 

Psalm 30:5 states "For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for a lifetime; Weeping may last for the night, But a shout of joy comes in the morning."  The verse is using two parallels: God's anger is short lived but His love is forever and our grief only lasts a short time but joy in Him is everlasting.

I spelled the title with the word "mourning" on purpose.  Let me explain.  First, I do not want to mis-interpret the scripture and certainly I do not want to add to or take away from God's word, but, as I thought about the contradiction that hurt lasts for the night and when the light arrives, there will be joy, it occurred to me that love does not exist without grief and grief does not exist without love.  For instance, when I hear of  a death of someone I did not know, I do not really grieve for that person or that family.  Sure, I am sorry for their loss, but I do not feel a sense of loss.  However, when a close friend or a family member dies, I hurt, I weep, I miss them.  Grief only happens when we lose something important or more importantly someone.  

Joy comes in the mourning because we loved and cared and regarded that relationship as important and valuable.  We weep because that person deeply affected our lives in significant and meaningful ways.  And that is where joy is in the mourning.  When we lose someone, we can rejoice in the gift they were to us, we can offer thanks for the time we had with them and we can (HERE IS A BIG ONE) give forgiveness for the times they hurt us.  As the Light of Christ surrounds and comforts your heart, joy does indeed come in the mourning.
Keep Running!
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment